Thursday, May 7, 2015

Snippets and Shorter Stories 2.0 Walks on the Beach

2.7 I am excited to be back in the groove of writing and posting everyday. I like sharing my writing with you readers and hope that you enjoy the variety of snippets I post. Remember to comment after you read them if you feel so inclined!

The Land and Sea Intermediary

The sand is warm and soft as I step off my porch and onto the beach. I love squishing my toes in it and watching my feet sink and slowly disappear. My daily walk along the beach was something I had started over a year ago and still looked forward to every morning. Most of the time the sea was calm and gentle as it washed ashore. Last night there had been a fierce storm that threatened to prevent my morning walk but, luckily, it had calmed down only a couple hours before dawn. The beach was smooth and free from footprints or trash. That is how I like it. Taking a deep breath of the salty air, I stare out at the rising sun and the way the light ripples along the surface of the ocean like a skipping stone. Sunrises always seem more beautiful than sunsets to me. Most people couldn’t see a difference but that didn’t matter to me. Sunrises signal the beginning of the day and a fresh start at life. And for some reason, I feel like today is going to be the beginning of something amazing. I smile as the last of the purple and orange streaks disappear and meander toward the pier.

“Ow!” I stumble as something hard and pointy dug into my left foot. It was probably a piece of trash that some tourist left behind. I rub my foot for a moment then crouch down to see what had caused my distress. It was a small gold and green ring that looked like a person whose arm, as it curled around to form the ring, transformed into a fish tail. It was certainly odd but quite pretty. I pick it up and a sudden gust of wind sweeps over me. I shield my eyes from the biting sand until the wind resumes its usual gentle breeze, grateful that I had put my hair in a ponytail and I hadn’t put my contacts in yet. I slide the ring onto my middle finger and to my surprise it is a perfect fit. Hmm, things just keep getting stranger and stranger. I still want to finish my walk and stand up, but when I look forward there is a woman standing in front of me. A chill runs up my spine as I notice there are no foot prints leading up to the woman anywhere in the sand.

The woman wears a dress that appears to be made of metallic purple fish scales and her hair is still dripping. She speaks and her voice sounds like the mist that rises from a waterfall. “Chosen one, may you be a better intermediary than I was.” Then she thrusts a damp, sandy book into my hand and disappears like the spray of the ocean against the rocks. The breeze disappears with her and I am left staring at nothing, mouth hanging open. I snap my mouth shut and look down at the book to make sure it really happened. It also looked to be made from fish scales. It had the same symbol as the ring on the cover along with a title: Handbook for the Land and Sea Intermediary. What could that possibly mean? I stand transfixed for several minutes before I decide to cut my walk short and head home. As I walk, it feels as though hundreds of eyes are staring at me though from a quick glance around me, I am alone on the sand. Hugging the book tight to my chest I practically sprint home not bothering to wipe my feet as I run inside and slam the door shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment