Saturday, November 29, 2014

Sprout's Tales in Snippets and Shorter Stories

Day Twenty-Nine: I think my cold is finally going away. Hurray! Not looking forward to next week. School is almost done and that means all my final essays and projects will be due. Oh joy. At least I'll be one more semester closer to graduating. By the way, Eric has been telling me that the sunrises the past few days have been quite exquisite. Perhaps you should make an effort to watch one. Now, here is a sweet little tale that I think was inspired by all the family I saw this weekend. Enjoy. There is only one more to go!


Grandfather Mushroom Tales



Dozens of tiny mushrooms pushed their way through the thick grass toward the lone, tall one. Their prize lay just ahead of them, protected in the thickest part. They had failed many times before to reach this area, but now their little bodies were strong enough to push it aside.
“Grandfather Sprout, Grandfather Sprout.” Dozens of voices chanted both their victory cry and greeting.
“Ah, you made it did you? You are a resilient little bunch. Quick you were. Woah, easy with the feet cluster children, they aren’t what they used to be.”
“Tell us a story.”
“A story!”
“Yah, about the time you were almost picked.”
“No, the time you journeyed to the other end of the meadow.” 
“Alright, quit pushing each other. Settle down, cluster children, settle down. There, that’s better. Now, have you heard about the time I was mushroomnapped by a furry, red squirrel and had to escape its hole in a tree before being eaten by its nest of babies? No? Well, alright then, if you promise to be quiet I will begin.” Grandfather Sprout fixed them with a stern gaze at his warning. When no one objected he nodded and began. “It was a warm, rainy day and I went for a walk to soak in the fresh rain...”

No comments:

Post a Comment